- Special Sections
- Dawgs Deals
- Local Guide
By COLLEEN MCCARTHY
A fire broke out at a home on Sand Creek Road at approximately 9 a.m. Tuesday morning.
The East Oktibbeha Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call at 1381B Sand Creek Road and began an aggressive attack of a large fire emitting from the rear of the house. The firefighters entered through the front door of the house and pushed the fire out through the back wall. The roof was ventilated to rid the attic of fire, smoke and heat.
The Bell Schoolhouse Fire Company also responded to the scene to assist with manpower and tankers.
The homeowner, Joey Hawkins, was not at home at the time the fire started, said County Fire Services Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan. A clothes dryer is believed to be the source of the fire.
Although no one was seriously injured in the blaze, several firefighters required medical attention after suffering from the heat. Chief Greg Ball and Assistant Chief Darrin Weber of East Oktibbeha were treated on scene by paramedics, but Young Kerby, Steven Kaspryzk and George Hubbard were all transported to OCH Regional Medical Center to be evaluated and treated for heat related exposure.
â€śThis was a hot fire with an interior attack adding to the heat exposure of firefighters, and personnel were rotated as necessary,â€ť said Rosenhan. â€śIce and water were furnished to firefighters, and the fire (was) extinguished.â€ť
The house suffered extensive damage, but most of the structure was saved.