Starkville Fire Department officials have not identified a cause of a house fire this morning on 511 Jackson St. but have confirmed the structure sustained major damage, mostly to its roof.
Fire Marshal Stein McMullen said SFD responded to a house fire call at approximately 9:30 a.m.
"When we got (to the scene) there was a flame coming out of the attic and about … 10 minutes at the most it came out of the roof," McMullen said. Pretty much all of the fire was in the roof and it spread throughout the attic space."
There were no injuries reported. Two pets at the residence were rescued from the fire.
McMullen said while it is not known what started the blaze there is a possibility it could be electrical in nature.
Updates will be posted throughout the day and in Thursday's edition of Starkville Daily News.