A University Hills Mobile Home Park resident evaded injury Sunday morning after waking up to find her home filled with smoke.
Oktibbeha County Fire Services Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan said East Oktibbeha County Fire Department was dispatched to the scene at 6:33 a.m. Sunday and found an electric furnace had ignited a fire inside and around the residence.
"The floor and a surrounding wall were burned and there was fire under the structure as well," Rosenhan said. "The East Oktibbeha County Fire Department responded, quickly extinguished the fire and employed a smoke fan to clear the structure of smoke."
He said once the fire was subdued, firefighters used thermal imaging cameras to ensure all hot spots were extinguished.
Rosenhan said smoke detectors were present at the residence but did not work at the time of the incident. Firemen gave the resident two smoke detectors. Rosenhan said he wanted to encourage homeowners and tenants to check their smoke detectors regularly.